The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
John Crawford presented with teaching award
Lecturer John Crawford has been presented with the Kent Union Teaching Award for the sciences faculty.
Julio Hernandez-Castro gives expert opinion on TV
Meridian TV interviewed Lecturer Julio Hernandez-Castro on 16 May. He spoke about cyber security following two recent attacks by hackers based in the southeast.
New funding for BlueJ and Greenfoot projects
The Programming Education Tools groups in the School of Computing at the University of Kent, led by Professor Michael Kölling, has received a research and development grant of US $510,000 from Oracle for further work on the BlueJ and Greenfoot projects.
Year in Industry students present to industry leaders
Four School of Computing students have presented their work to a conference in Portland, Oregon.
School of Computing
Our reputation for providing top quality graduates puts Kent fifth out of all Computing departments for "Career after 6 months" in the Guardian league tables for 2013. This is testimony to our strong links with industry through:
- innovative work in securing placements for our Year in Industry students in Industry students in a wide range of companies, including at CISCO in California, HSBC in Hong Kong and IBM in the UK. 70% of our undergraduates are on placements during 2011/12 and this opportunity is now available for all MSc students.
- the unique opportunities provided by the Kent IT Clinic – students gain first-hand experience of working as IT consultants as part of their degree.
World-leading researchers in key areas, such as systems security, communications and computing education, and interdisciplinary work with biosciences and psychology all contribute to an extensive support framework for postgraduate students and early career researchers.
- School ranked fifth in the UK for graduate career prospects*
- Canterbury ranked as safest university city in England**
* The Guardian University Guide for Computing Departments 2013
** The Complete University Guide 2011