The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
I belong to the following research groups:
I research the visualization of diagrams that represent complex interactions. In particular, Euler Diagrams and Graphs have interesting properties and are applied in great variety of areas.
As a Royal Society Industrial Fellow, I worked in collaboration with INRIX Media. This work developed automatic techniques for drawing public transport schematics, sometimes called the metro map layout problem. The result was a web service allowing schematic layout tools to be accessed remotely, so potentially helping travellers navigate on public transport systems. The fellowship was between August 2010 and July 2013.
I am also supervising a research student, Dan Chivers, who is looking at dynamic layout for the metro map metaphor, where metro maps are used to visualize non-transport data.
Try the 3 Circle Venn Diagram Applet, which draws approximately area proportional diagrams. Implemented by Stirling Chow of the University of Victoria, Canada and myself. A version is also hosted at the University of Victoria.
The more difficult case of visualizing 3 set Euler diagrams with Ellipses is being studied by Luana Micallef, a research student I am currently supervising.
I am always interested in supervising new research students in the above areas, as well as in other research topics related to visualization. If you would like to discuss starting a PhD, please email me: P.J.Rodgers@kent.ac.uk.
Current Research Students
- Luana Micallef
- Dan Chivers
- Fadi Dib
- Rob Baker
- Andrew Blake (external supervision at the University of Brighton)
Past Research Students
- Dr Martyn Taylor (PhD) 2012 Planarity testing by path addition
- Dr Sabrina Panels (PhD) 2010 Development and prototyping of haptic interactions for data exploration
- Ms Tooba Nasir (MSc by Research) 2009 Sonification of contour maps
- Dr Jonathan Stott (PhD) 2008 Automatic layout of metro maps using multicriteria optimisation
- Dr Nadia Boukhelifa (PhD) 2006 Investigating coordination aspects of multiple views in visualization
- Dr Octavian Patrascoiu (PhD) 2005 Model driven language engineering
ConferencesI am involved with the following ongoing conference series:
- Co-chair of Schematics 2014
- General Chair of Diagrams 2012
- Programme Committee of ED 2012
- Programme Committee of IV 2013
- Programme Committee of VL/HCC 2013
- Programme Committee of DMS 2014
- Programme Committee of DLAC 2013
I have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level on a variety of subjects over the years. Currently I am teaching on a new final year undergraduate module, "Games Programming with C++", which is running for the first time in 2012/2013.