The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
I belong to the following research groups:
- Convex Venn-3 Applet
- 3 Circle Venn Diagram Applet
- Software developed in the "Visualization with Euler Diagrams" project
I research the visualization of diagrams that represent complex interactions. In particular, Euler Diagrams and Graphs have interesting properties and are applied in great variety of areas.
I am a Royal Society Industrial Fellow, working in collaboration with INRIX Media. This research will develop automatic techniques for drawing public transport schematics, sometimes called the metro map layout problem. In particular we will develop schematic graphics suitable for live TV broadcasts and smart phones, so potentially helping travellers navigate on public transport systems. The fellowship occupies 66% of my time, started in August 2010 and lasts three years.
I am also supervising a research student, Dan Chivers, who is looking at dynamic layout for the metro map metaphor, where metro maps are used to visualize non-transport data.
Try the 3 Circle Venn Diagram Applet, which draws approximately area proportional diagrams. Implemented by Stirling Chow of the University of Victoria, Canada and myself. A version is also hosted at the University of Victoria.
The more difficult case of visualizing 3 set Euler diagrams with Ellipses is being studied by Luana Micallef, a research student I am currently supervising.
I am always interested in supervising new research students in the above areas, as well as in other research topics related to visualization. If you would like to discuss starting a PhD, please email me: P.J.Rodgers@kent.ac.uk.
Current Research Students
- Luana Micallef
- Dan Chivers
- Fadi Dib
- Rob Baker
- Andrew Blake (external supervision at the University of Brighton)
Past Research Students
- Dr Martyn Taylor (PhD) 2012 Planarity testing by path addition
- Dr Sabrina Panels (PhD) 2010 Development and prototyping of haptic interactions for data exploration
- Ms Tooba Nasir (MSc by Research) 2009 Sonification of contour maps
- Dr Jonathan Stott (PhD) 2008 Automatic layout of metro maps using multicriteria optimisation
- Dr Nadia Boukhelifa (PhD) 2006 Investigating coordination aspects of multiple views in visualization
- Dr Octavian Patrascoiu (PhD) 2005 Model driven language engineering
ConferencesI am involved with the following ongoing conference series:
- General Chair of Diagrams 2012
- Programme Committee of ED 2012
- Programme Committee of IV 2013
- Programme Committee of VL/HCC 2013
- Programme Committee of VLC 2013
- Programme Committee of DLAC 2013
I have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level on a variety of subjects over the years. Currently I am teaching on a new final year undergraduate module, "Games Programming with C++", which is running for the first time in 2012/2013.