Senior Lecturer / Director of Innovation
My publications are available from the University of Kent's Academic Repository.My full publications list can be found below, or you can have a look at my Google Scholar page.
I belong to the following research groups:
If you are interested to do a PhD in security-related topic with me, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other InformationPrior to joining the School of Computing at the University of Kent, I was a Senior Research Associate at Newcastle University's School of Computing Science.
- UK TSB: Safety App for Vulnerable Users (Oct'12-Mar'13)
- UK EPSRC: Cybercrime Network (Sep'12-Aug'15)
- UK EPSRC: Hyper-privacy: Case of Domestic Violence (Apr'13-Mar'14)
- UK TSB: Secure Mobile Safety Apps for Vulnerable Groups (Apr'13-Mar'15)
- EU ISEC: Novel Image/photo Forensic Tools for fighting against child pornography (NIFTy) (Jul'13-Jul'15)
- UK DSTL: Cyber Defence: Identifying anomalous human behaviour in heterogeneous systems using beneficial intelligent software (Ben-ware) (Apr’14-Sep’14)
- EU CIPS: Shaping University Curricula to Critical Infrastructure Employer Needs (SUCCEED) (Sep’14-Feb’16)
- Newcastle University’s Contactless and Wearable Technologies (Feb’15-Mar’15)
- UK Metropolitan Police Service: Mobile Smartcard Reader (Mar’15-Oct’15)
- Fostering Collaboration Between Newcastle and Kent (Jan’16-Mar’16)
- Newcastle Access Control Live Lab (Jan’16-Mar’16)
- Kent University’s Internet of Things (Jan’16-Mar’16)
- Red-Blue Team Approach for Securing IoT Operating Systems (Jan'17-Mar'17)
- Equipment for Continuing Summer Internship Work (Feb'17-Mar'17)
- University of Kent's Faculty and School funding: Support for collaborative research on secure software for the Internet of Things (Feb'17-Jul'17)
- UK EPSRC: EconoMical, PsycHologicAl and Societal Impact of RanSomware (EMPHASIS) (Jul’17-Dec’19)
Full List of Publications
- Budi Arief, Andy Periam, Orcun Cetin, Julio Hernandez-Castro, Using Eyetracker to Find Ways to Mitigate Ransomware, 6th International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy (ICISSP 2020), pp. 448-456, 2020 [pdf].
- Jamie Pont, Osama Abu Oun, Calvin Brierley, Budi Arief, Julio Hernandez-Castro, A Roadmap for Improving the Impact of Anti-Ransomware Research, In: A. Askarov, R. Hansen, W. Rafnsson (eds) Secure IT Systems, NordSec 2019, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11875, Springer, Cham, pp. 137-154, 2019 [pdf].
- Ali Hariri, Nicolas Giannelos, Budi Arief, Selective Forwarding Attack on IoT Home Security Kits, 2nd International Workshop on Attacks and Defenses for Internet-of-Things (ADIoT 2019), in conjunction with ESORICS, 2019 [pdf].
- Edward Knight, Sam Lord, Budi Arief, Lock Picking in the Era of Internet of Things, In: IEEE Workshop on Data Security, Privacy, Forensics, and Trust (DSPFT 2019), in conjunction with IEEE TrustCom, pp. 835-842, 2019 [pdf].
- Gavin Hull, Henna John, Budi Arief, Ransomware Deployment Methods and Analysis: Views from a Predictive Model and Human Responses, Crime Science 8(2), 2019 [pdf].
- Jack McBride, Budi Arief, Julio Hernandez-Castro, Security Analysis of Contiki IoT Operating System, International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN) 2018, pp. 278-283, 2018 [pdf].
- Jack McBride, Julio Hernandez-Castro, Budi Arief, Earworms make bad passwords: An analysis of the Noke smart lock manual override, International Workshop on Secure Internet of Things 2017 (SIoT 2017), held in conjunction with ESORICS 2017, 15 September 2017 [pdf].
- Mohammed Aamir Ali, Budi Arief, Martin Emms, Aad van Moorsel, Does The Online Card Payment Landscape Unwittingly Facilitate Fraud?, IEEE Security & Privacy, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 78-86, 2017 [pdf].
- Andrew Stephen McGough, Budi Arief, Carl Gamble, David Wall, John Brennan, John Fitzgerald, Aad van Moorsel, Sujeewa Alwis, Georgios Theodoropoulos, and Ed Ruck-Keene, Detecting Insider Threats Using Ben-ware: Beneficial Intelligent Software for Identifying Anomalous Human Behaviour, Journal of Wireless Mobile Networks, Ubiquitous Computing, and Dependable Applications (JoWUA), Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 3-46, 2015 [pdf].
- Tom Anderson, Budi Arief, Tehmina Basit, Rosemary Borup, Louise Rutherford, How To Succeed in Cyberspace, Proc. 8th Annual International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation (ICERI), pp. 6074-6083, 2015 [link].
- Andrew Stephen McGough, Budi Arief, David Wall, John Brennan, Carl Gamble, John Fitzgerald, Aad van Moorsel, Sujeewa Alwis, Georgios Theodoropoulos, Ed Ruck-Keene, Insider Threats: Identifying Anomalous Human Behaviour in Heterogeneous Systems Using Beneficial Intelligent Software (Ben-ware), Proc. 7th ACM CCS International Workshop on Managing Insider Security Threats (MIST'15), pp.1-12, 2015 [link].
- Budi Arief, Tom Anderson, Rosie Borup, Louise Rutherford, SUCCEED Approach for Better Cyber Security and Counter Terrorism Education, presented at 1st UK Workshop on Cybersecurity Training & Education, 11 June 2015 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Mohd Azeem Bin Adzmi, Understanding Cybercrime from Its Stakeholders' Perspectives: Part 2-Defenders and Victims, IEEE Security & Privacy, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 84-88, Mar-Apr 2015 [link].
- Budi Arief, Mohd Azeem Bin Adzmi, Thomas Gross, Understanding Cybercrime from Its Stakeholders' Perspectives: Part 1-Attackers, IEEE Security & Privacy, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 71-76, Jan-Feb 2015 [link].
- Budi Arief, Kovila P. L. Coopamootoo, Martin Emms, Aad van Moorsel, Sensible Privacy: How We Can Protect Domestic Violence Survivors Without Facilitating Misuse, Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES'14), pp. 201-204, 2014 [pdf].
- Martin Emms, Budi Arief, Leo Freitas, Joseph Hannon, Aad van Moorsel, Harvesting high value foreign currency transactions from EMV contactless credit cards without the PIN, Proceedings of the 2014 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS'14), pp. 716-726, 2014 [pdf].
- Martin Emms, Budi Arief, and Aad Van Moorsel, Electronic Footprints in the Sand: Technologies for Assisting Domestic Violence Survivors, Privacy Technologies and Policy, Bart Preneel and Demosthenes Ikonomou (Eds.), LNCS 8319, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 203-214, 2014 [pdf].
- Martin Emms, Budi Arief, Nicholas Little and Aad van Moorsel, Risks of Offline Verify PIN on Contactless Cards, Financial Cryptography and Data Security, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi (Ed.), LNCS 7859, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 313-321, 2013 [pdf].
- Martin Emms, Budi Arief, Joseph Hannon, Aad van Moorsel, POS Terminal Authentication Protocol to Protect EMV Contactless Payment Cards, Technical Report CS-TR-1386, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, pp. 1-8, May 2013 [pdf].
- Martin Emms, Budi Arief, Troy Defty, Joseph Hannon, Feng Hao and Aad van Moorsel, The Dangers of Verify PIN on Contactless Cards, Technical Report CS-TR-1332, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, 2013 [pdf].
- David Greathead, Lynne Coventry, Budi Arief, Aad van Moorsel, Deriving Requirements for an Online Community Interaction Scheme: Indications from Older Adults, ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), Austin, Texas, USA, 2012 [pdf].
- Kirusnapillai Selvarajah, Budi Arief, Alan Tully A, Phil Blythe, Deploying Wireless Sensor Devices in Intelligent Transportation System Applications, Intelligent Transportation Systems, In: Abdel-Rahim, A, ed. Intelligent Transportation Systems, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 143-168, 2012 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, David Greathead, Lynne Coventry, and Aad van Moorsel, Towards the Implementation of an Internet-based Neighbourhood Watch Scheme: Impacts of Inclusive Technologies on Societies, 3rd International Conference on Computational Aspects of Social Networks (CASoN), Salamanca, Spain, 19-22 October 2011 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, David Greathead, Chris Smith, Lynne Coventry, Aad van Moorsel, and Phil Butler, Inclusive Technology’s Impact on Society through the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme, Presented at Connected Communities Symposium, Newcastle upon Tyne, 12-14 September 2011 [pdf].
- Aad van Moorsel, Martin Emms, Gemma Rendall, Budi Arief, Digital Strategy for the Social Inclusion of Survivors of Domestic Violence, Technical Report CS-TR-1277, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, pp. 1-18, September 2011 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Joey Coleman and David Greathead, How Paranoid Are You?: Issues in Location Information of Ambient Systems, Technical Report CS-TR-1219, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, pp. 1-16, October 2010 [pdf].
- Alexei Iliasov, Budi Arief and Alexander Romanovsky, Step-Wise Development of Resilient Ambient Campus Scenarios, in Methods, Models and Tools for Fault Tolerance, LNCS 5454, Springer, Michael Butler, Cliff Jones, Alexander Romanovsky, and Elena Troubitsyna (Eds), pp. 297-323, 2009 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Phil Blythe and Alan Tully, Using Smart Dust in Transport Domain, Position paper presented at UbiComp Grand Challenge Workshop, London, 6-7 January 2009 [pdf].
- Axel von Arnim, Budi Arief, and Antoine Fusee, Cooperative Road Sign and Traffic Light Using Near Infrared Identification and Zigbee Smartdust Technologies, Presented at 15th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS 2008), New York, USA (also available as Technical Report CS-TR-1082, Mar 2008), 16-20 November 2008 [pdf].
- Budi Arief and Axel von Arnim, TRACKSS Approach to Improving Road Safety through Sensors Collaboration on Vehicle and in Infrastructure, Presented at 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Vehicular Communications (WiVeC 2008), Calgary, Canada, 21-22 September 2008 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Phil Blythe, Richard Fairchild, Kirusnapillai Selvarajah, and Alan Tully, Integrating Smartdust into Intelligent Transportation System, Presented at 10th International Conference on Application of Advanced Technologies in Transportation (AATT 2008), Athens, Greece (also available as Technical Report CS-TR-1062, Dec 2007), 27-31 May 2008 [pdf].
- Alexei Iliasov, Alexander Romanovsky, Budi Arief, Linas Laibinis and Elena Troubitsyna, A Framework for Open Distributed System Design, Proceedings of Computer Software & Applications Conference (COMPSAC 07), Volume II - Workshop Papers, 1st IEEE International Workshop on Software Patterns (SPAC 2007), Beijing, China, pp. 658-668, 27 July 2007 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Alexei Iliasov and Alexander Romanovsky, On Developing Open Mobile Fault Tolerant Agent Systems, in Software Engineering for Multi-Agent Systems V, LNCS 4408, Springer, R. Choren, A. Garcia, H. Giese, H.-f. Leung, C. Lucena, and A. Romanovsky (Eds), pp. 21-40, 2007 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Alexei Iliasov, and Alexander Romanovsky, Rigorous Development of Ambient Campus Applications that can Recover from Errors, Presented at the Workshop on Methods, Models and Tools for Fault-Tolerance (MeMoT 2007), at the International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods 2007 (IFM 2007), pp. 103-110, 3 July 2007 [pdf].
- Alexei Iliasov, Alexander Romanovsky, Budi Arief, Linas Laibinis and Elena Troubitsyna, On Rigorous Design and Implementation of Fault Tolerant Ambient Systems, 10th IEEE International Symposium on Object and Component-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC07), Santorini Island, Greece, 7-9 May, pp. 141-145, 2007 [pdf].
- Alexei Iliasov, Alexander Romanovsky, Budi Arief, Linas Laibinis and Elena Troubitsyna, On Rigorous Design and Implementation of Fault Tolerant Ambient Systems, Technical Report CS-TR-993, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, December 2006 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Alexei Iliasov and Alexander Romanovsky, On Using the CAMA Framework for Developing Open Mobile Fault Tolerant Agent Systems, SELMAS 2006 workshop at ICSE 2006, Shanghai, China, (also as Technical Report CS-TR-943, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University), pp. 29-36, 22-23 May 2006 [pdf].
- Jeremy Bryans and Budi Arief, Security Implications of Structure, in Structure for Dependability: Computer-Based Systems from an Interdisciplinary Perspective, D. Besnard, C. Gacek, and C.B. Jones (eds.), Springer, pp. 217-227, 2006 [pdf].
- Gordon Baxter, Budi Arief, Shamus Smith, Andrew Monk, Structuring Dependable On-line Services: A Case Study Using Internet Grocery Shopping, Paper given at the Annual DIRC Conference, Edinburgh, ISBN 1-86220-159-5, pp. 114-118, 15-17 March 2005 [pdf].
- Denis Besnard and Budi Arief, Computer security impaired by legitimate users, Computers & Security, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 253-264, May 2004 [pdf].
- Cristina Gacek and Budi Arief, The Many Meanings Of Open Source, IEEE Software, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 34-40, January/February 2004 [link].
- Denis Besnard and Budi Arief, Computer Security Impaired by Legal Users, Technical Report CS-TR-794, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, May 2003 [pdf].
- Budi Arief and Denis Besnard, Technical and Human Issues in Computer-Based Systems Security, Technical Report CS-TR-790, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, March 2003 [pdf].
- Cristina Gacek, Tony Lawrie and Budi Arief, Interdisciplinary Insights on Open Source, Proceedings of the Open Source Software Development Workshop, Newcastle University, pp. 68-82, February 2002 [pdf].
- Cristina Gacek and Budi Arief, editors, Proceedings of the Open Source Software Development Workshop, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, February 2002 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Diana Bosio, Cristina Gacek, and Mark Rouncefield, Dependability Issues in Open Source Software - DIRC Project Activity 5 Final Report, Technical Report CS-TR-760, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, February 2002 [pdf].
- Cristina Gacek, Tony Lawrie and Budi Arief, The many meanings of Open Source, Technical Report CS-TR-737, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, pp. 1-15, 6th August 2001 [pdf].
- Budi Arief, Cristina Gacek and Tony Lawrie, Software Architectures and Open Source Software - Where can Research Leverage the Most?, Position Paper included in the Proceeding of 1st Workshop on Open Source Software Engineering, Toronto, Canada, pp. 3-5, 15th May 2001 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief and N.A. Speirs, A UML Tool for an Automatic Generation of Simulation Programs, Technical Report CS-TR-731, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, pp. 1-12, 30th April 2001 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief and N.A. Speirs, A UML Tool for an Automatic Generation of Simulation Programs, ACM Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Software Performance (WOSP 2000), Ottawa, Canada, pp. 71-76, September 2000 [pdf].
- N.A. Speirs and L.B.Arief, Simulation of a Telecommunication System using SimML, IEEE Proceedings of 33rd Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS 2000), Washington D.C., USA, pp. 131-138, April 2000 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief and N.A. Speirs, Using SimML to Bridge the Transformation from UML to Simulation, Position Paper in Workshop on Software Performance & Prediction, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, 25 November 1999 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief and N.A. Speirs, Simulation Generation from UML Like Specifications, Proc. IASTED Applied Modelling and Simulation (AMS'99), Cairns, Australia, pp. 384-388, September 1999 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief and N.A. Speirs, Automatic Generation of Distributed System Simulations from UML, Proc. 13th European Simulation Multiconference (ESM'99), Warsaw, Poland, pp. 85-91, June 1999 [pdf].
- L.B. Arief, M.C. Little, S.K. Shrivastava, N.A. Speirs and S.M. Wheater, Specifying Distributed System Services, BT Technical Journal - Special Issue, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 126-136, April 1999 [pdf].