Senior Makerspace Technician
Research InterestsMy interests are in the development of technologies for 'Smart Cities', innovative interfaces for wireless sensor networks, and low-powered wide area networks.
I manage the day-to-day running of ‘The Shed’, a stand-alone open workshop which provides space to work on practical projects in the School of Computing. Its resources include: CAD, CAM, turning, 3D printing, electronic PCB fabrication, laser cutting and mold making. Following initially helping to design and make this resource a reality, my responsibilities now include:
- Providing technical support to staff and researchers pursuing research;
- Providing detailed technical support to staff and students in a taught environment;
- Preparing teaching material in association with academic colleagues;
- Explaining concepts and design practices from first principles to a wide audience;
- Advising on equipment selection/procurement/use;
- Testing and maintaining equipment, and taking an active role in providing a safe working environment.
If you'd like more details on some of my projects then check out my personal site at: www.danielknox.co.uk