Reader / Director of Research
My publications are available from the University of Kent's Academic Repository.
I belong to the following research groups:
I research the visualization of diagrams that represent complex interactions. In particular, Euler Diagrams and Graphs have interesting properties and are applied in great variety of areas.
As a Royal Society Industrial Fellow, I worked in collaboration with INRIX Media. This work developed automatic techniques for drawing public transport schematics, sometimes called the metro map layout problem. The result was a web service allowing schematic layout tools to be accessed remotely, so potentially helping travellers navigate on public transport systems.
Try the 3 Circle Venn Diagram Applet, which draws approximately area proportional diagrams. Implemented by Stirling Chow of the University of Victoria, Canada and myself. A version is also hosted at the University of Victoria.
A generator for linear diagrams is currently under development, see the Linear Diagram Generator. These diagrams have recently been shown to be more effective than either Venn or Euler diagrams for representing some set-based problems. Work exploring the practical and theorectical capabilities of linear diagrams is currently under way.
I am always interested in supervising new research students in the above areas, as well as in other research topics related to visualization. If you would like to discuss starting a PhD, please email me: P.J.Rodgers@kent.ac.uk.
Current Research Students
Past Research Students
- Andrew Blake (PhD) 2015 The Impact of Graphical Choices on the Perception of Euler Diagrams
- Dan Chivers (PhD) 2014 Improving Automated Layout Techniques for the Production of Schematic Diagrams
- Luana Micallef (PhD) 2013 Visualizing Set Relations and Cardinalities Using Venn and Euler Diagrams
- Dr Martyn Taylor (PhD) 2012 Planarity Testing by Path Addition
- Dr Sabrina Panels (PhD) 2010 Development and Prototyping of Haptic Interactions for Data Exploration
- Ms Tooba Nasir (MSc by Research) 2009 Sonification of Contour Maps
- Dr Jonathan Stott (PhD) 2008 Automatic Layout of Metro Maps Using Multicriteria Optimisation
- Dr Nadia Boukhelifa (PhD) 2006 Investigating Coordination Aspects of Multiple Views in Visualization
- Dr Octavian Patrascoiu (PhD) 2005 Model Driven Language Engineering
ConferencesI am involved with the following ongoing conference series:
- Co-Programme Chair of VL/HCC 2017
- Co-Chair of SetVR 2016
- Programme Committee of VL/HCC 2016
- Programme Committee of DMS 2016
- Programme Committee of IV 2016
- Programme Committee of Diagrams 2016
I have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level on a variety of subjects over the years. Currently I am teaching on a second year databases module and an MSc web programming module.