- I ran the Computing Graduate Employability project, co-funded by the HEA and CPHC (2015-16). The project was to investigate, document (and share) employability practices and resulted in this report.
- I ran the Sharing Practice project, funded by the UK Higher Education Academy (2008-2012), which looked at how we might best represent and
share teaching practices and undertook studies into how (and why, and
when) educators change their practice.
- I worked on the Teknikundervisning i studenternas sammanhang
Ett ramverk fur pedagogisk kunskapsuppbyggnad och spridning (or
Education in Technology within the student context: A framework
for gathering, processing and disseminating pedagogical knowledge)
project, funded by the Swedish council for the renewal of higher
education. As part of this I ran Stepping Stones course, designed to bring
practitioners together to investigate engineering education. Robin Adams,
from Purdue University worked on this with me.
- Together with Josh Tenenberg, University of Washington Tacoma,
I devised a model for examining and documenting teaching called
Commons. Josh and I ran parallel instantiations of this in 2005/6.
- I ran (jointly, with Josh Tenenberg, University of Washington
Tacoma and Marian Petre, Open University ) two NSF-funded projects,
in Computer Science Education (DUE-0122560) 2002 & 2003 and Scaffolding Research in
Computer Science Education (DUE-0243242). 2003 and 2004.
I ran similar workshops in 2004 and 2005, organised by
Anthony Robins from the University of Otago in New Zealand and
Raymond Lister from the University of Technology, Sydney. See Building Research in Australasian
There are more details of these projects
Computer Science Education Research, the book I edited
with Marian Petre, was published by Routledge Falmer in March 2004.
- I was Moderator of the Computer
Science Discipline Network (1996-2000), and was project manager for Project
(Effective Projectwork in Computer Science) which was funded by HEFCE's
Fund for Development of Teaching and Learning (FDTL). The book resulting from
this project, Computer Science Project Work: Principles and Pragmatics
was published by Springer Verlag (January 2001).
- I was a member of the Advisory Committee to the Shadbolt Review into Computer science degree accreditation and graduate employability (2015-16)
- I Chaired the review group for the UK Subject Benchmark Statement for Computing (2014-16)
- I was part of the ACM/IEEE Computing Curriculum 2013 Steering Committee (here is the final report)
- I was a member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of Engineering Education, 2007-2012
- I was a member of the ACM Education Council 2006-2009
- I served as Secretary to the ACM Special Interest Group in Computer Science
Education (SIGCSE) for two terms, 2001-2007
- I was a founding member of the Steering Group of the Conference of Heads
and Professors of Computing Learning Development Group, serving
- I was Chair of the Networks
and Events Committee of SEDA
(the Staff and Educational Development Association) from 1998-2002.
- Together with Co-chairs Richard Anderson from the University of
Washington, Seattle and Mark Guzidal from Georgia Tech, I organised
and ran the first three ACM-sponsored International Computing Education
Research (ICER) workshops:
- I was Technial Chair for HCI 2004, the 18th
Annual Conference on
Human-Computer Interaction, at Leeds Metropolitan University, 8th-12th
- I organisd the Doctoral Consortium for HCI 2002 the 16th British
HCI Group Annual Conference, and was a member of the Educators' Symposium
Committe for OOPSLA
- I have been involved with the ACM-sponsored ITiCSE conferences (Innovation
and Technology in Computer Science Education). I served as Poster
Chair for the 1999 conference in Krakow, as Program
Co-chair for the 2000 conference in
and was Conference Co-chair
in 2001 when ITiCSE came to Canterbury.
I have been privileged to have been invited to give keynote presentations at:
- The 10th Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE)
conference, Paris 3rd-8th July 2009
- The 5th Finnish /
Baltic Sea Conference on Computer Science Education (Kolin Kolistelut)
17th-20th November 2005
- I was invited (by the students) to give a keynote talk at
the Research Student Colloquium at the National University of Ireland,
Maynooth, 9 March 2005
- The 2nd Peruvian Workshop of Education in Computation at Antenor
Orrego University, Trujillo, Peru 9th-13th November 2004
- The 16th Annual Workshop of the
Psychology of Programming Interest Group at the Institute of
Technology, Carlow, Ireland, 5th-7th April 2004
- The 6th Australasian Computing Education Conference ACE 2004
18th-22nd January 2004 (ACE 2004 was part of Australasian Computer
- The 15th Annual NACCQ Conference in New Zealand, 3rd-5th July 2002.
- I was external evaluator for two FDTL
Phase 3 projects: PBLE (Project
Based Learning in Engineering) and Project Squared
- I was external examiner for the course M150 at the Open University, for undergraduate provsion
at the University of Abertay, Dundee and for the MSc at Edinburgh Napier University and for the MSc at UCL (UCLIC)
- I am currently external for the Advanced Diploma in Data & Systems Analysis at Oxford.