Information for current research students
As a research student you will have periodic reviews with your supervisor as well as others depending on the type of review, below is a list of reviews you may have depending on your circumstances.
- Initial meeting
- Induction review
- Probation review
- Mid-year review
- End of year review
- Submission review
- Continuation year reviews
For more detailed information see the section below.
Requirements for each review stage
For information on what is required of you at each review stage as well as when these are likely to occur please see Annex K: Progression and examination. The dates of reviews as well as the review forms to be completed will be posted on the student data system (SDS).back to top
For information on thesis submission, writing and other aspects please see examination of research degrees.
There are many templates for writing a thesis that you can choose from. Below is a link to a LaTex template maintained on Trac.
In the School of Computing we use the Kent Harvard style for referencing and creating bibliography. More information on this referencing style can be found in the Harvard style guide. Alternatively you can use RefWorks, an online tool that can be used to create a bibliography.
To login select "My institutions credentials" then find the University of Kent, at this point you will be asked to enter your Kent login credentials to access RefWorks.back to top
Requests for funding
To request funding for conferences, etc. please email email@example.com explaining what you need, why and the estimated cost.
- This email will be received by Peter Rodgers (Director of Research & Enterprise) who will authorise the expenditure.
- There is a good sized budget and reasonable requests are never refused.
- The response will be copied to the Finance Team so they will be aware that the spending has been authorised and will make the booking for you.
Please do not make any bookings yourself as unauthorised funding cannot be refunded. We are also required to comply with Financial Regulations when making any bookings, so leave it to the Finance Team!back to top
In order to book travel for conferences and other events related to your course you must use the online travel form (you must provide your Kent credentials to access the page). You need to book your travel through the university in order to be refunded. The university no longer handles booking of accomodation so please ensure you arrange this before you travel.back to top
All purchases for your work at the university must be made by the Finance Team to ensure we comply with Financial Regulations.
- Expense claim forms are at https://www.kent.ac.uk/finance-staff/services/expenses.html
- If you incur expenses, such as subsistence costs when you're at conferences, you will need to complete an expense claim form and submit it, with receipts, to the Finance Team as soon as possible after your return. Finance will not pay claims :
- that are submitted more than 3 months after the expenditure is incurred,
- for equipment, software, etc. that you buy as this should go through the normal purchasing process managed by the Finance Team.
Teaching opportunities for researchers
Most research students will have the opportunity to teach in the School. Some will be supported centrally through the Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) scheme, which is detailed at: https://www.kent.ac.uk/graduateschool/GTA-landing.html. Others will be employed directly by the School on short term employment contracts.
All students who undertake teaching will be trained and supported throughout their employment both centrally and within the School through a series of training workshops, feedback sessions, interaction with module convenors and help from other experienced academic staff.back to top
For more information relating to your research as well as a collection of useful links to various content please visit the postgraduate research area within the graduate school.